Development Officer (Mid-Level)
Reports to: Director of Annual Giving
FTE: 1.0 (37.5 hours per week)
Annual Salary Range: $68,000 – $72,000
Anticipated Start Date: Immediately
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
At Wycliffe Canada, we believe that God has spoken, and continues to speak, through His Word—the Bible. The Scriptures point to Jesus, the source of life, restoration, and salvation. Bible translation allows people everywhere to meaningfully engage with God’s Word, which he uses to transform lives in every culture, whether it’s shared in written form, sign language, oral Bible storytelling, audio Scriptures, or videos.
As a member of the Wycliffe Global Alliance, we’re part of a global movement that’s advancing Bible translation, literacy, capacity-building, and activities that encourage meaningful engagement with translated Scriptures. We work with national partners to foster local ownership, long-term sustainability, and increased impact of language projects.
With more than 400 staff and volunteers serving in Canada and overseas, Wycliffe Canada is directly involved in Scripture-related activities for 235 language groups in 38 countries. Additionally, we partner with Canadians to fund more than 30 language projects around the world.
The Bible translation movement has seen remarkable progress over the past 80 years. Much work remains—but it’s now possible to finish Scripture translation for those who still need it, in this generation.
We serve our field partners in these key areas of ministry:
- Bible Translation
The Scriptures point to Jesus, the source of life, salvation and peace. But 1 in 5 people around the world still do not have access to the whole Bible in a language and form they best understand. Much work remains, but it’s now possible to finish Scripture translation for those who still need it – in this generation.
- Engagement With Scripture
Transformation happens when people engage the Bible in a language and form they best understand. Churches flourish when pastors teach and disciple in a language that they best understand and communities gain resources for healing and peacemaking.
For many communities, literacy affirms dignity, preserves language, and sparks development. When people learn to read and write, they can share knowledge and access life-changing training in health and agriculture for the good of the whole community. Wider literacy equips lay leaders for deep participation in the local church.
- Capacity Building
The sustainable impact of Bible translation needs local ownership, effective partnerships and innovation, this is why we also focus on capacity building. We serve the global movement by strengthening networks and offering training, resources and leadership. We love partnerships where creative solutions can be developed so people can be meaningfully transformed by God’s Word.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Mid-Level Development Officer at Wycliffe Bible Translators of Canada, your role will be pivotal in furthering our mission to eradicate Bible poverty by enabling the translation of God’s Word in diverse language communities globally. You’ll be an integral part of our fundraising team, nurturing relationships with mid-level donors whose contributions significantly impact our organization’s success. Primary responsibilities will involve fostering meaningful connections with current and prospective donors and encouraging ongoing support for our transformative initiatives.
Additionally, the successful candidate will play a vital role in crafting and sharing compelling stories of transformed lives as part of our annual giving efforts. Reporting directly to the Director of Annual Giving, the Development Officer (Mid-Level), will engage mid-level donors through targeted interactions, including occasional in-person meetings necessitating some travel. Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills are essential for this role.
- Donor Stewardship: Cultivate and nurture strong relationships with a caseload of mid-level donors through regular communication via various channels. Tailor engagement strategies based on donor interests, motivations, and preferences to deepen their commitment to our cause. Ensure timely and personalized acknowledgement for their contributions, demonstrating genuine appreciation.
- Donor Acquisition: Expand our donor base by networking, creating connections, and identifying potential new mid-level donors. Conduct research to discern philanthropic interests and develop effective engagement strategies to align with our mission.
- Fundraising Writing: Draft regular updates on project progress and impact to inform donors about their contributions’ difference-making. Prepare emails, cover letters, and communications to engage and connect with donors authentically.
- Reach Fundraising Targets: Collaborate with the development team to meet overall funding goals. Set and meet quarterly and annual mid-level donor fundraising targets. Monitor progress and adapt strategies for successful outcomes.
- Donor Events and Engagements: Organize and participate in donor appreciation and fundraising events to cultivate giving and foster a sense of community among mid-level donors, strengthening their connection with Wycliffe.
- Database Management: Maintain accurate donor records in Donor Perfect. Track interactions, donations, and relevant data to inform future strategies and communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience in fundraising, communications, or nonprofit management.
- 3-5 years of experience in donor relations, major gifts, or mid-level donor fundraising within the nonprofit sector.
- Passion for the mission and values of Wycliffe Bible Translators of Canada.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with active listening abilities and comfort in phone conversations.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work autonomously and plan small-scale events.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, conveying authenticity and conviction.
- Familiarity with fundraising databases and donor management systems is advantageous.
- Understanding of donor stewardship principles and best practices.
- Proven ability to collaborate within a team-oriented environment.
- Understanding of and desire to further Wycliffe Canada’s mission and the ministry of Bible translation
- Ability to work proactively and independently
- Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset
- Willingness to participate in Wycliffe Canada’s spiritual enrichment activities (e.g., chapel, Day of Prayer, spiritual retreat)
- Able to work legally in Canada
- Clear criminal record check and credit check
- Agreement with and willingness to sign Wycliffe Canada’s Statement of Faith, Standard of Conduct, and Conflict of Interest Policy
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Free onsite parking (Calgary)
- Flexible work schedule
- Fun, dynamic, and tight-knit team
- Faith-based, supportive, and family-oriented work environment
Application: Joining Wycliffe Bible Translators of Canada as a Mid-Level Development Officer offers a unique opportunity to impact lives around the world by bringing the message of hope and salvation to diverse language communities. If you are a driven and compassionate fundraising professional with a heart for making a difference, we invite you to apply and become part of our dedicated team working to transform lives through the power of God’s Word.
Please fill out the contact form below and upload your cover letter and resumé.
Please note, we will only contact applicants chosen to participate in subsequent stages of the selection process.